Laura Sarah Dowdall is pleased to offer workshops on an ongoing basis, based on the concepts and ideas explored as part of Running Blind.
The integrated workshops inspire all ages and abilities to dance!
Encouraging people to reconnect with their bodies, their senses and natural creativity! It improves self- confidence, body-awareness, social skills, physical and mental wellbeing.
This workshop programme has been developed in collaboration and exchange with members of the blind community.
It featured as the cover-story of Health & Living in the Irish Independent in 2018-
Dates: October 17, 24th (break week for Halloween), November 7, 14, 21, 28, December 5th, 12th
- discovery and expression in dance,
- increasing their self-confidence and body-awareness,
- improving their strength, coordination and stability,
- acquiring practical skills to help them in their environment and in social interactions,
- providing them with a supportive outlet for self expression and creativity,
- encouraging new friendships and social skills
- improved physical and mental wellbeing
In addition, these workshops facilitate forming new and supportive friendships in an environment that is safe and offers a sense of freedom and creative expression rarely found in day-to-day contexts.
*All benefits are based on direct feedback from participants of a previous programme.
The programme consists of dance exercises inspired by Contact Improvisation and Contemporary dance practices. The use of touch is essential to the work so participants develop skills in sensing and communicating through touch, enabling them to feel confident in dancing.
Who are the workshops suitable for?
- Everyone of all ages and abilities who wish to explore dance and it’s breadth of communication possibilities, the subtlety of the senses and social haptic touch; this includes people of all levels of vision and ability
- Artists, actors, dancers, therapists, social care workers, social studies students, communications students
- Workshops are also great for team building events and integrated community workshops for anyone looking to improve their personal awareness and non-verbal communication skills
If you would like to book a workshop with Laura, simply send an email to email@example.com referencing ‘RB Workshop’ in the subject line.